About Dying

A personal oddessy of terminal illness, acceptance and regeneration.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Monterey, Ca., United States

 

Also by WriterByTheSea

Tuesday, May 02, 2006

Journal: 05/01/06

No fires to put out today, even with all of the maids participating in the "Day Without Immigrants" boycott. That made for a nice day off where I could relax and drink beer until I was stupid. Bill made small steaks for dinner and we played cards afterward. I did accomplish the one thing I set out to do today, and remembered that there were several things to remember on this first day of May. I called my father in the late night when my cell phone is free, and he seems to be doing better than the last time I talked to him a couple of weeks ago.

Laundry Day

I did get the laundry done today. It’s nice to be able to use the motel’s big five-load washers and dryers, makes the job a one-shot process and I can go without having to do it more than once a month. When Joann was alive, I would do the laundry once a week during the motel remodel and Joann would put it away. Before the remodel, we had our own washer/dryer in the apartment and Joann could do laundry any time she wanted. This time I put away my own laundry. I haven’t done laundry in a month and after separating Joann’s things out, I was surprised that the load wasn’t larger. Guess I’ll have to get used to that. At least, using the motel’s laundry is a perk of the job and is free.

Sort of an Anniversary

Its May Day and many things happen, like the parades in Moscow before Russia went back to being Russia. The first day of May is also a symbolic entry-point into Spring, its almost like shedding the dreary days of rain that April brings and we know Summer is on its way. May 1, 2003 is also the day Joann and I first slept together, a short four days before she and I, along with Bill, rented the apartment we dubbed "Snug Harbor." Little did I know at the time, how the events in the first week of May three years ago would change my life, making it dramatically better than it had been in many long years.

This month looks to be a busy one for memories. So many things happened back in ’03 that laid the foundations for my current life, that I expect to spend a lot of time reminiscing. This was the month that Joann, Bill and I rented Snug Harbor, and Mother’s Day is two weeks away. May is also the month Joann went into the hospital for the first time—at least while we were living together—and represents the starting point of her decline into end-stage emphysema. This looks to be a busy month for memories.

Immigration Protest Day

May first is also "International Labor Day," and the appropriate time for the immigrant’s boycott. Everybody seems to be behind it, or not, as evidenced by watching the event unfold on CNN and Fox News. So we don’t have maids today, none of the stay-over guests seem to care a fig, and because it’s slow, we have plenty of rooms available. All of the maids will be back tomorrow to clean our rooms. It couldn’t have worked out better and people finally are getting sent a message about who really grease the wheels that run this country.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home