About Dying

A personal oddessy of terminal illness, acceptance and regeneration.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Monterey, Ca., United States

 

Also by WriterByTheSea

Sunday, May 14, 2006

Journal: 05/13/06

Mother’s Day approaches tomorrow and I have the day (Sunday) off again. Expect a lengthy post tomorrow as I write my way through the first holiday Joann, Bill and I celebrated in Snug Harbor. Maybe next week will be the seven-day long one that I thought this one would be. I asked the managers if they wanted my to just keep Sunday as my day off, but they said that this was just an exception and things would be back to normal next week. We’ll see.

Thinking About the Next Book

One of the top promises I made to Joann before she died was to finish one of my books. Lately, I’ve been thinking a lot about what I want to do in that respect and I believe I’m finally there.

I have always been great at starting to write new books, I’ve written four, fifty-thousand word stories that all need to be edited into saleable books, but never went far beyond the initial effort. Every November, for the last four years, I have competed in the National Novel Writing Month competition to produce these four stories that never were completed. The plots are good, the ideas fresh, reflecting life in the motels I’ve lived and worked in. Basically, your "underdog does good" story, dealing with the issues of the working homeless and the traps they are prey to.

After Joann passed on, I thought I wanted to write something that followed, to some degree, the path of this blog. I felt then, and still do now, that not enough is said about the intensely personal experience of personally taking care of a dying spouse or child. Especially about the aftermath for those who must continue on and deal with whatever their new lives hold. After taking Joann through the home hospice experience, I believe I’m well qualified to put that experience out into the world. And, I have just the vehicle to do it.

One of the stories I wrote was called "The View from Snug Harbor," and is the story of Joann, Bill and I and how we lived in the original apartment in this motel. The idea I have is to take this blog-line and overlay it onto the Snug Harbor story, using these blog entries as the book’s chapters and matching the pieces of the original novel to each Snug Harbor chapter as a flashback. By intertwining these two stories and not randomizing them chronologically, I believe that this would produce a powerful way to tell the story of all three of us, past and present, simultaneously.

I’m excited about the idea and now that I have it firmly in my head, will start working on the outline and selecting the chapters to use. Not only will this be a tribute to Joann, but also I’ll finally produce a marketable novel.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I applaud your ability to put into words what so many who grieve the loss of a loved one cannot utter. I have read all your entries and believe that the blog has indeed had a therapeutic effect. Not only on your ability to provide the love and support Joann needed in her end of live process but also for your own specific journey through your emotions and understanding of what it means to be a caregiver of a dying loved one. I don’t think I need to tell you what an outstanding job you did taking care of Joann. It is a testament of your love for her and I cannot begin to imagine the impact her death must have on you.

As far as your bereavement process is concerned – remember, there is no “correct” way to deal with the countless emotions that come up around the loss of Joann. There is no timetable you must adhere to in order to be grieving properly. In a culture where we spend our lives running away from the inevitable, it is no surprise we do a very poor job of helping our friends and loved ones cope with their feelings and emotions around death. Please allow yourself all the time you need to process your loss on all levels – regardless of any expectations placed upon you by those near and dear. Let your friends and loved ones know what you need from them to help you in your bereavement. Reach out to the community to find the extra help you may need to get through the difficult times and, above all, know that you are not alone in your pain and that there are others out there that can empathize.

I wish you the very best in your journey.

10:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home