About Dying

A personal oddessy of terminal illness, acceptance and regeneration.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Monterey, Ca., United States

 

Also by WriterByTheSea

Monday, April 03, 2006

Update: 04/01/06

Medications:

  • 315 mg. Oral Morphine (7 doses).
  • 14 mg. Oral Lorazepam in 7 doses (for sleeping/anxiety).
  • 90 mg. Extended Release Morphine (1 dose).
  • 90 mg. Morphine Suppositories (1 dose).
  • 20-mg/200-mg. Diazepam 10-mg., Phenobarbital 100-mg. Suppositories (2 doses).
  • How Joann’s Day Went:

    As most other days in the past week, this has been a different kind of day. VNA nurse Ruth was over to facilitate the change in Joann’s condition. She ordered new suppositories and adult-diapers. The key I understand in to keep Joann in a medication-induced coma. There is so much damage to her system currently, that life for Joann must be a living hell of pain or over-medication. Keeping her awake serves no real purpose at this time. I’m learning about suppositories, diapers, drool-mats, etc. Joann’s condition has radically changed. She will never come back from the stroke.

    These days it is simply a round of suppositories to keep Joann comfortable. She doesn’t eat, drink, or anything else in support of her life. I think she is finally ready to go home. The nurses agree, Joann has run her course and the only thing left is her shell. Make the shell comfortable, they tell me, and be casual observation, I see it is true.

    I will do my part as her caregiver to keep Joann’s pain at bay.

    0 Comments:

    Post a Comment

    << Home